Sakura Punk Attack!

In spring 2005 we visited Japan to see Japanese punk and hardcore bands, drink beer, buy records, make new friends, sell records, get attacked by hawks, and of course see the cherry brossoms (sakura, dummy). Here are some of the photos from our awesome trip posted a year to the day later.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Tokyo Bye Bye

Packing all of our new records, old dirty clothes, souvenirs, gig flyers and camera equipment up was kind of arduous in Daragh and Yuki's teeny apartment. Holy cow did our stuff take up a whole bunch of it. I only had to buy one more bag during the trip so I guess it could have been worse.

We decided to have a Thai lunch with our hosts in Okubo, quite a multicultural neighbourhood for Japan. We stopped in a
guitar shop to check out a bass Daragh had been eyeing. I also spotted this Hello Kitty guitar.



Lunch was amazing. After this we grabbed our bags and Daragh saw us off to Shinjuku to catch the Narita Express to the airport. We actually got off at the wrong terminal and were worried about being late, but as we ended up encountering a 2 hour flight delay we had nothing to sweat. However, in the meantime I was pulled over in the carry on scan. One of the souvenirs I was sure I had put in my checked bags, an ornamental shirokan or ninja star for my bro, got detected. So I had to head to the post office counter and mail it to myself, which only took a week. This is one of the downsides to the super duper fancy dancy wrap job any purchased gift is subject to in Japan, when you pack up you can't remember what anything is.

The airline gave us meal tix for shitty non veg food, but redeemable for beer too so that was a positive. We spent the extra time getting some more souvenirs as they didn't seem too overpriced. I don't know what possessed me to buy green tea chocolate, other than the fact I like eating chocolate with green tea but it tasted like soap and was way horrid.

When we eventually got on the flight I was again plagued with insomnia, managing to get only about an hour sleep. Grabbing a cab at the airport seemed too easy as a guy approached us in the terminal, we got gouged good for a ride back to my ma's in Toronto. I actually managed to sleep a few hours, yahoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home